SPARE A THOUGHT.....

At the end of winning a rat race, we are still a rat.

August 10, 2006

vulnerability.....

I am having a strange experience with technology space at the moment. For the last few years Yahoo messenger has been an integral part of life and communication therein. I do not know when or how long back I registered with yahoo. It seems like an ancient moment, a distant memory, almost like when I was "named" by my parents..Recently, I received an email mentioning that my password had been changed. I had not done any change. The result being that I cannot access any of my yahoo services.When i go into my standard "forgot password" menu, it is not even recognizing my date of birth.
A moment of helplessness with mails being exchanged with yahoo customer service...Wonder what the outcome would be.....
But a deeper realization....virtual spaces have become such a reality in our lives and have enhanced our basic vulnerabilities...my yahoo id is a critical part of my "identity"...and i feel a strange sense of violation of space...my yahoo was home to my "passwords" list for everything..my banking and other trading aspects...like a bank locker taken for granted...not to mention friends and relatives who might be trying to be in touch...offlines and all...
and suddenly I have lost the key with remote possibility of retreival....I do not know if my space has been hacked into....it is possible...it can be a technological error...
but look at my vulnerability...a moment of discovery of my dependancy....
a lot of critical data is in memory, but still....

No comments: